Pages

Saturday, October 26, 2013

The Swale


When I first read Stephen Sears' book, Gettysburg, I was intrigued upon reading about the plight of Alfred Iverson's North Carolinians on the first day of fighting. It explained that the brigade was pretty much surprised by the I Corps troops of the Federal Army waiting behind the stone wall just on the edge of Shead's Woods. The Union fire was extremely effective and for cover the Confederates took refuge in a dip in the ground, otherwise known as a swale.

My next trip to Gettysburg pitted me on a search to find this swale in front of Oak Ridge and Shead's Woods. I followed the park avenue towards the stone wall that the Union troops under John Robinson used for cover and then I saw it. "Son of a bitch" were the words that came out of my mouth.

Today, the stonewall is partly obscured by rows of golden corn, but from the right angle you can see the huge dip in the ground where the desperate Confederates sought cover from the blistering fire.

"Unwarned, unlead as a brigade, went forward Iverson's deserted band to its doom. Deep and long must the desolate homes and orphan children of North Carolina rue the rashness of that hour."

No comments :

Post a Comment